Monday 22 September 2014

Book Review - The Taxidermist's Daughter

        
                                      
The Taxidermist's Daughter by Kate Mosse
Rating: 3 out of 5 stars

My Thoughts...

Sussex, 1912. Constantia 'Connie' Gifford lives with her father in an old house out, in the marshes of Fishbourne. Once a well known Taxidermist, with his own museum of stuffed birds, which used to grace every parlour, are now out of fashion. Leaving Gifford a bitter old man. However, that was not the only reason why Gifford and his daughter shut up shop and moved to a quiet village on the coast. 

This was a dark and mysterious murder mystery. With each chapter focusing on certain aspects of each character, as we learn about the secret that Gifford has kept from his daughter. Kate's description and detail of each character was amazing and I could picture, quite clearly how each one looked and portrayed themselves. I loved the way Kate made you feel sorry for Gifford and how she made Connie an independent woman, taking charge of the family home, when her father disappears. 

The map at the beginning of the book is a nice touch and adds to the atmosphere of the story. Even though, I enjoyed the story. I did find it slow going in some places and I had to force myself to read, so I could get to the good bits and even then, it kept you on your toes. I particularly liked the gruesome parts, which made you check your shoulder every now and again. Kate Mosse made you feel part of the story.

Nevertheless, the story was excellent and intriguing. Gothic and ghostly. I would recommend this book to those who enjoy murder mysteries. Personally, this book wasn't for me.

I give this 3 out of 5 stars 🌟🌟🌟   


No comments:

Post a Comment